Garden Tour set for June 6May 19, 2015 03:34PM ● By Steven Hoffman
The Newark Arts Alliance (NAA) is pleased to announce its Annual Newark Garden Tour will be held on Saturday, June 6, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Participants will take a self-guided tour of 11 Newark gardens and experience how art and creativity can shape landscapes in both small and large spaces. The Newark Garden Tour seeks to present ideas and solutions on how an individual can create a stunning garden without a big budget or a professional staff, and instead rely on DIY techniques. The tour will include artists painting on location at select gardens, as well as a performance by Serenata Strings at one of the houses. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased in advance or on the day of the tour. Tickets must be presented on the day of the tour at the Newark Arts Alliance to receive the Garden Tour map.
Tickets are on sale at the Newark Arts Alliance and can be purchased in-person or over the phone (cash, check, and credit cards accepted). Tickets are also available at Alexander’s Lawn & Garden, 800 Ogletown Road, Newark, DE 19711 (cash or check only at Alexander’s).
The Garden Tour map will offer descriptions of each of the gardens on the tour. In addition, the map can be presented at Orzada Farms Drive Thru Nursery for 20% off any plant purchased during the rest of June.
This year’s tour includes 8 private residences and 3 community gardens in Newark. Some highlights are:
- A suburban sanctuary with paths leading to outdoor “rooms,” nestled among a palette of perennials and planters filled with annuals, offering a chemical-free oasis for local wildlife such as nesting birds, hummingbirds, and butterflies.
- A woodland garden featuring a variety of ferns, magnolias, and Japanese maples, lovingly tended to for more than 20 years.
- A 1+ acre certified wildlife habitat, mostly wooded, with Cypress knees rarely seen this far North and a number of small themed gardens.
- A garden maintained by the Delaware Saengerbund Social Club, with plants native to Delaware and Germany; hosts of the Saengerbund will be dressed in traditional German clothes to meet guests and discuss the garden with them.
- A garden at Newark High School, designed and planted by students.
The rain date for the Newark Garden Tour is Sunday, June 7, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.